Friday, April 12, 2013

ELEMENTS

     I began this latest Bedtime for Robots album as an experiment, as all of my recordings seem to begin. I finally acquired an Iphone 4S after several years of suffering through the uselessness of my Crackberry which did little more than allow me to text and make phone calls. After a few weeks of app research, I began playing with the electronic music goodies available to experimental freaks like myself and ultimately decided on the 3 following music app staples to create my madness: Nanostudio, Animoog, and GarageBand, all of which have their ups and downs. However, combining the 3 along with some creative manipulation, I believe I have created my dream mobile studio for 2013. I am absolutely amazed after each recording session that I am actually recording these tracks on a fucking cellphone. Not only are these recordings of comparable quality to my circa 1999 $70,000.00 ADAT studio, but now I am no longer confined to a "studio" to create my soundscapes. ELEMENTS was recorded on the living room couch of the log cabin I share with my girl, as well as on my front porch, back porch, in a hotel room, and in my car.


     The music of ELEMENTS represents a departure from the past several Bedtime for Robots creations, all of which can be heard at LastFM. The tracks combine the listlessness of ambient music along with 60s and 70s prog rock and glam rock influences in the instrumental arrangements. The noise and experimental nature of albums like Thin Air, *****, Digital Lullabies, and Songs of the South has been traded in for more melodic synth-infused textures reminiscent of DJ Shadow and 1970s-era Tangerine Dream (before they became a new age drivel outfit). A few tracks still contain shadows of Bedtime for Robots' signature creepiness, especially "Autumn in the Arms of Voodoo." However, the album also explores some uncharted territory as well as familiar themes I explored back in the days of Dog and Love in Reverse. "Frankincense" is a sexy slowgrind which includes samples of gorgeous soul chick glam-cock vocals. "Mt. Misery" is a nasty little stomp with effected sitars and a filthy little one-note bass line. All in all, recording ELEMENTS has been an awesome life-changing experience for me and I am eager to release it to those of you who like your music adventurous and unpredictable. I have 2 other iPhone albums in the works as well. VISCOUS is a trip-your-face-off electronic sci-fi nightmare and LULL is turning out to be the sleep soundtrack I have always dreamed about (har har hardy har har). I will keep ya'll posted here when these releases become available





No comments:

Post a Comment